Pseudo Fall Break

Friday, October 7, 2016

A Lazy Cool Fall Weekend


I had a challenging week this week outside of school so I kind of took the week off.  I needed it.  Given that I was a full week ahead on my assignments, this isn't a big issue.  But my latest learning activity is giving me a little heartburn.  I still have 5 more days to work on it and a full 4 more days until the next assignments unlock, so it's not the time to hit the panic button just yet.  Just a little time for a self made Fall break.



The Week in Review


Besides wrapping up the class interaction assigment from Module 3, it was a pretty slow week.  I knocked off my reading assignment and my first video lecture pretty early on which only leaves the learning activity (Learning Activity #5) and one more video lecture to complete the module.

I started working on LA#5, but it's been giving me some fits.  It's a rather large portion of text and it's been a little difficult for me to entirely figure out what is going on.  Rather than hammering it out, I've just been patiently reading the passage over and over again.  I might sit down with it tomorrow and put a fresh set of eyes on it.

All in all, it was a pretty down week as far as school goes.  Given how far ahead I was, I just decided to take it easy.  I won't be able to start anything new until next Tuesday so I decided to treat myself to a little break.

Next week, in addition to having a new module open up, I'm going to register for my next set of classes.  Exciting!

What Did I Learn?


The primary thing I've learned this week is to really step back and use the tools I've been taught up to this point.  If you try to rush into things, it's not going to end well.  I've been practicing patience and repetition with my learning activity and I've spent a lot of time in prayer.  I think this was actually engineered to be a slow week to give students a bit of a rest after all the work in Module #3.

Lessons Learned and Best Practices


Read, reread, reread, memorize a little, reread, read a little more, reread, have nightmares about the reading, get up and read....  Yeah, repetition is your friend.  I'm a long way from getting a handle on the text I'm working on for my learning activity, but the more I read, the more comfortable with the passage I become and the more that things are coming into focus.

That alone is a good life lesson.  Slow down, take your time, learn and focus on what you are doing.

BE101 Statistics


Here's how things look through 6 weeks.  It's interesting to me at this point how the assignment weights are lining up with the time investments.  Even though I'll end up spending a lot of time on Module 3, I'm very comfortable with my time commitment to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment